Guardianship Attorney, Massachusetts

Petitioning for Guardianship of a Minor

When an individual is not able to handle their own personal or financial affairs, a guardian may be appointed by the court to do so. A guardian may be appointed for a child when their parents die, become incapacitated, or become unable to care for the child or to make decisions for an incapacitated adult. At Angel Burke Law, our guardianship lawyer assists clients with adult guardianships and minor guardianships.

For more information about the guardianship process, please call (508) 377-4562 to arrange a consultation.

Guardianship Qualifications

Any person with an interest in caring for the child or incapacitated adult in question may apply for guardianship but must be approved by the court. Acting as a guardian is a big responsibility, and the person is required to always act in the best interests of their ward. The guardian has the legal authority to manage the affairs of the minor or incapacitated individual.

The legal guardian has the authority to make decisions regarding the ward’s:

  • Personal safety and well-being
  • Personal care
  • Health care
  • Education
  • Housing

The process of being appointed a guardian can be confusing and complex. It may be in your best interests to hire an experienced attorney to guide you through the process. Our guardianship lawyer in Norfolk County can assess the family’s situation and recommend the best way to proceed in your case.

When Does Guardianship End?

There are a few possible ways a guardianship may be terminated. If the ward dies, no longer requires the assistance of the guardian, or if there was a time limit on the guardianship, it will be terminated. When the ward wants to terminate the guardianship because they are no longer in need of assistance, a petition must be filed with the court and the judge will decide if the ward is now capable of handling his or her personal and financial affairs.

We encourage you to call (508) 377-4562 for legal advice and guidance throughout the process of applying for guardianship. We serve Norfolk County and the surrounding area, including Medway, Millis, Dover, Franklin, Walpole, and Bellingham.

Guardianship Attorney Massachusetts photo of child holding hands with adult Law Firm Medway Ma

Contact Us Today

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Why Choose Angel Burke Law, Family & Divorce Attorney?

brian m angel burke divorce lawyer Massachusetts Law Firm Medway Ma
family attorney massachusetts icon of hand holding heart Law Firm Medway Ma


We give personal attention & insightful legal advice to everyone we help.
divorce family lawyer massachusetts icon laurel leaves Law Firm Medway Ma


Over 20 years of experience practicing as a divorce attorney in the field of family law.
divorce attorney massachusetts gavel icon Law Firm Medway Ma


Angel Burke Law works with clients to resolve their legal issues and meet their goals in a cost-effective way.

163 Main Street
Suite 6C,

Medway,MA 02053

Map & Directions [+]